Winchester STARBASE Academy Exciting Summer 2023 Activities
The Winchester STARBASE Academy had an amazing summer and we are super excited to start a new school year where we can continue to engage and inspire students about STEM for their future. The summer activities included:
- We worked with The Kids Clubs of the Northern Shenandoah Valley to
engage students in STEM related activities while incorporating literature
into the lessons.
- Summer camps were held with rising sixth graders from Frederick County
Public Schools Apple Pie Ridge, Gainesboro, and Middletown Elementary
- Collaboration between multiple STARBASE programs occurred when we
worked with the Marine Corp JROTC summer camps at Fork Union Military
Academy. STARBASE staff worked with 202 cadets on building BOE
Shield robots, programming Arduino Uno using the C++ program, and
configuring the breadboards.
- R-MA students attending summer camps visited our program for a day of
- Children of National Guard members had the opportunity to participate in
teambuilding activities and build stomp rockets with STARBASE instructors
at the Virginia National Guard Youth Camp.
- Robotics building and programming was the focus of an afternoon with high
school students at the Commonwealth ChalleNGe Youth Academy.
To expose our nation's youth to the technological environments and positive civilian and military role models found on Active, Guard, and Reserve military bases and installations, nurture a winning network of collaborators, and build mutual loyalty within our communities, by providing 25 hours of exemplary hands-on instruction and activities that meet or exceed the National Standards.
To be the premier Department of Defense youth outreach program for raising the interest in learning and improving the knowledge and skills of our nation's at risk youth so that we may develop a highly educated and skilled American workforce who can meet the advance technological requirements of the Department of Defense.